My Family Getting Ready to Run Fontana Days Half Marathon 2012

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 9: Long Run...9 Miles!

Day 9: (8/19/2012)

Sorry for not updating this recently! I've been traveling for work.

On the 19th I did week 2's long run: 9 miles!

This was supposed to be a long, slower run at Half Marathon Pace + 20 seconds (9:39/mile) I ran with my husband so we ran a little slower than that (9:58/mile) and the course we use is EXTREMELY hilly. I love incorporating hills because it makes me a stronger runner. There is one hill in particular that is pure hell. It's only .3 miles but it is intense. All of last year we couldn't make it up the climb without stopping and during our 9 miler we were able to make it to the top without stopping (we were both very excited about this!). The rest of the course is filled with other hills as well as some great declines.

Workout:
Run 9 miles at a steady, controlled pace. We chose a challenging course so we had to walk at the top of some of the hills to catch our breath. Remember, Galloway always says that walking is okay; it's not anything to feel ashamed of and it's perfectly fine. The goal is the distance and if you walk, remember to keep it controlled as well. We kept our walking to a minimum; only at the tops of 2 of the hills and when we had to stop to refill our water jugs.

Method:
We ran outside on a premapped course. I use Nike+ (Blog to come very soon on this), but there is also MapMyRun. I write down the course and stuff it in my running belt (Blog to come on accessories soon as well), so that if I forget where we planned to run I can reference it. I think premapping runs is crucial so you aren't running aimlessly or running in circles. I also recommend running outside for this so your body can acclimate itself with terrain to simulate races.

How I Felt:
We felt great afterward. We weren't extremely tired. We were able to continue our day as normal.

What I'd Recommend:
Run outside and premap your run. Don't feel bad if you walk; just keep it controlled. Stay hydrated!!

How I Felt Afterward:
The next day I had to leave for work so I thought my back was sore because of travel but I talked with my hubby and he said his back was sore too along with his legs. My legs felt fine, but I stretched extensively afterward, and he didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment