My Family Getting Ready to Run Fontana Days Half Marathon 2012

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day 8: Tempo Run

Day 8: 8/16/2012

Yesterday I was bummed because I really wanted to run but work called so I postponed the tempo run until today.

The tempo run I did today was just a straight 5 miles at a pace of 8:54. I ran up to a park by our house and back early in the morning. As I've said in past blogs, it's been extremely hot here lately and it starts getting hot around 6:00am. I left around 5:45 but it was so hot and humid I was dying before I hit 3 miles. I exhausted all my water by the 4th mile and just felt awful. I completed the mileage but was a little under my goal time because of the heat. Galloway says that when it's hot you should have plenty of water but also slow your pace to accommodate the heat, so I didn't feel like I wasn't performing.

Workout:
Tempo Run. 5 miles at a pace of 8:54 was the goal. I ran 5 miles with a pace of 9:25. The idea is to keep a consistent pace the entire time.

Method:
Road.

How I Felt:
Nothing short of awful. It was very hot and humid and half the run is uphill so the two combined was a recipe for disaster.

What I'd Recommend/What I Learned:
If it's hot, slow your pace to take into account for the heat. I would also recommend that you do tempo runs on the road and not on the treadmill to get used to terrain and weather.

How I Felt After:
I was overheated directly after, but once I cooled down, I was fine. I felt good afterwards as well.

:)Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment