My Family Getting Ready to Run Fontana Days Half Marathon 2012

Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 4 and 5: Strength Training and The Long Run

Day 4: (8/8/2012)

I was extremely sore still from Kettlebells a couple days earlier I decided to strength training on my upper body and stomach.

Strength training is extremely important, even your upper body because it allows you to burn calories, while making your muscles stronger. Sometimes we think that since we are running we only need strong legs. The truth is we need a strong body...not just strong legs, so working out your upper body is also important.

Workout:
I started with pushups and pull ups. I did 10 modified pushups (knees on the ground), and 12 modified pull ups (machine at the gym). Modified pull ups are amazing because you get to pick the weight you use and as you get stronger, the weight you use will go down and you can clearly see yourself getting stronger. I alternated sets of pushups and pull ups for 3 sets.

Below are images of a modified pushup and a modified pull up machine.
















Next, I alternated sets rows and dips. You can do rows a few different ways, I like using a row machine (image below) and I do dips on the modified pull up machine. The second row of bars are used for dips and the same process applies (you select the weight to assist you). I did 12 reps of each, and 3 sets.







Next I did a dumbell workout. I first did 12 alternating curls, then 12 tricep extenstions, then 12 iron crosses (start with hands at sides and lift arms up into a cross position without bending arms), then 12 military presses. I did this routine twice.

I ended the workout with stomach excersises. I did 20 regular ab crunches, 20 90 degree angle crunches (legs together and bent at a 90 degree angle), and then I got a medicine ball and did 20 side turns (sit down with legs bent, grab medicine ball in hands and rotate your upper body only from side to side and try to touch ball on ground). The last excersise I did was a plank (see image below) for 60 seconds.


Method:
I was at the gym!

How I Felt:
The workout was good. It took roughly an hour and I was sweating but I felt good.

What I'd Recommend:
Do this starting with light weights and work your way up. Try to do between 10-15 reps each set.

How I Felt After:
I felt good and was mildly sore the next day.
------------------------------------------------------------

Day 5: (8/9/2012)

Today would have been my long run day. The goal was 8 miles at a pace of 9:39 a mile. This run is always slower than your race pace because you trying to build endurance and speed will come later with the other runs earlier in the week. This run was to take place the day that my husband and I left for vacation with our family and friends so I set out kind of not excited to run in the first place; I woke up a little late to run 8 miles and it already started to get hot; not to mention I was still sore from Kettlebells!! I decided I'd run 4.5 miles (up to a park by my house and back). This happens, and it's not uncommon to have a bad run so don't get discouraged!

Workout:
The workout originally was just to run consistently at the same pace for 8 miles. 
I ran 2 miles and walked for half a mile because my legs hurt. I ran the last 2.5 miles at a good pace (8:45/mile) and finished the entire run at 9:45 a mile so not bad, but nowhere close to what I was supposed to run or the distance.

Method:
Outdoors at 7am.

How I Felt:
I have already said how sore I was, but it took me 2.5 miles to feel decent enough to run at a good pace.

What I'd Recommend:
Wait 2 days from your last workout before running. (I.E Run Tues/Thurs/Sun)

How I Feft Afterwards:
I felt okay afterwards, no more sore than I was orginally.

The first week of training is over!

:)Maggie






























No comments:

Post a Comment