My Family Getting Ready to Run Fontana Days Half Marathon 2012

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Start of Week 2: Day 6...Track Repeats

Day 6: (8/13/2012)

So my first week of training is complete and now I've moved on to my second week of training! The weeks are all structured alike so my first run of the week was track repeats

Workout:
The schedule was to warm up for 10-20 minutes, then run a 400M, 600M, 800M, 1200M, 800M, 600M, 400M with 400M Rest Intervals in between each repeat. Each repeat was to be ran at the same speed, so as you move up in distance, you're just keeping the same pace for longer. The pace was slightly faster than 8:00/mile, so the times are as follows: 1:56, 2:55, 3:55, 5:59; 3:55, 2:55, 1:56. The rest intervals I varied depending on how tired I was after the track repeat. For the first 2 I jogged the rest period, the 3rd one I tapered off from a jog to a walk, the long one I walked the whole time while I got water and I tapered the rest of the them after the 1200M repeat. I ended up after everything was said and done, with warm ups, rest intervals, and cool down running 7 miles.

Method:
I used a treadmill. Again, this to me is the best way to do these because they keep you consistent. Remember that they aren't accurate though. For example, in order to run my right pace, I had to set the treadmill at 8.0MPH which is 7:30/mile, but my pace on my watch was about 7:41. I set a speed on the treadmill and then compare it to my watch to get the right pace. It's important to run with a watch :) I run with the Nike+ Sportband (learn about it here). In a future blog I'll be reviewing this watch and tell why I love it so much.

How I Felt:
I felt great! The only time I got really tired was during the 1200M repeat, so my goal next time I do track repeats like this is to do better during this repeat. Instead of focusing on being tired I need to focus on my form and running strong. I felt myself get a little sloppy. Sloppy running makes you more tired because your muscles are working extra hard. 

What I'd Recommend:
Run on a treadmill, focus on form and breathing, use a running watch to get a good pace, and stretch after you're done. 

How I Felt After: 
Today, I feel lovely. My legs aren't tired or sore. My back is a little sore but that should subside by tomorrow. I don't feel as though I ran 7 miles yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment