My Family Getting Ready to Run Fontana Days Half Marathon 2012

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 3: Tempo Run

Day 3: (8/7/2012)

So let me just first start this post off with WOWie I hurt today. Kettlebells did a number on my tush, legs, and back yesterday. All the pains are good pains, and I'm glad that I'm sore because it's validation that I worked out to my capacity yesterday.

Today was my tempo run. More and more articles that I'm reading in RunnersWorld, online, etc are stressing the importance of the tempo run. Tempo runs go like this: warm up with 1-2 miles of easy running, a middle portion ran at a pretty moderate effort, and then about 1 mile of cool down easy running. Today it was roughly 109 degrees outside today and I couldn't go running before work, so I chose to do today's run on the treadmill. I normally don't run these on the treadmill because I like to keep the cadence on my own outside but it was impossible to run outside today.

Workout:
I started with 2 miles at a 10:14 pace, just like the program asked. These first two miles were really painful because of the Kettlebells yesterday so I'm glad I had these two miles to warmup... By the time the two miles were finished I felt pretty good.

The next 3 miles were supposed to be ran at 8:40 pace. Since I was on the treadmill I was able to keep pretty consistent even after 2.5 when I started to get a little tired. I am not going to lie, it was harder than I orginally expected but I completed it.

I then tapered off the last mile for my cool down.

Method:
Treadmill. I wouldn't recommend this unless it's too hot or cold outside.

How I Felt:
The first two miles were awful because of Ketllebells the day before, but after that I felt great. It wasn't the easiest workout but I finished it and it didn't take that long.

What I'd Reccomend:
Run outside if you can for your tempo runs. With regular runs running on terrain where the elevation varies and the outside elements come into play get you ready for racing a lot better than treadmills. Water, water, water! Try not to walk during these as well. Even though Jeff Galloway says walking in general is good, tempo runs are designed to stress your and improve your lactate threshold. If you walk or stop, it isn't as effective.

How I Felt After:
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little tired and sore but this is expected the first week of real training. I expect to not be as tired or sore as the weeks progress.

:)Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment